Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Not seasonal, but they were edible...


Dodo
Strange Victorian haunted Ginger Bread House
Pink Horse
White rabbit
Dragonfly
MoonfaceHi there, Erika here the east Coast contingent of Pictures of Food We Made!
These are very old, I will admit, but I am awaiting some pictures of food I just made this very weekend and will post upon arrival!
These were made last Christmas when I discovered that I could draw with black royal icing onto white wet royal icing with a toothpick, and I was on somewhat of a "surrealist" bender (which I am permanently on) with the cookie ornaments.
Everyone loved them, and I was encouraged to dry them out and keep them, which I did, to great success. All summer they sat happily in an oversize cake pan, drying out, not cracking much, not molding (this recipe is very dry and when royal icing hardens , and is baked in the case with these, it is like cement) until the Fall came, and ... it was like an invitation for mice. I had  never had mice before, but the cookies were a beacon, and in they came. The mouse that discovered them must have become some sort of mouse village hero. Talk about surreal, when I discovered what was going on, the cookies had very distinct tiny teeth marks in big half circles. One cookie, which was a pear shape cookie that I made into a woman's back, had one buttocks chewed off.
So, even though I never ate them , they were edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment